May 4, 2009

USC Offers Peach State DB

Decatur (Ga.) Southwest Dekalb cornerback Jonathan Mincy is the latest in a string of defensive backs to receive an offer from South Carolina.

The 5-foot-10, 175 pound Mincy found out about the Gamecock after first-year defensive backs coach Lorenzo Ward visited his school.

"Coach Ward, the DB coach, came by my school today," he said. "I have a full scholarship offer now and should be getting the letter in a couple days. "

Mincy, who racked up five interceptions last season, is excited about the offer.

"I don't know too much about them; it's a good program and good education though," he told GamecockCentral.com.

Eight other schools have offered Mincy, but he is waiting on two others to come through.

"I don't have a leader right now," he said. "I'm just keeping my options open and waiting on Georgia and Georgia Tech to come in."

Mincy talked about the in-state programs and was asked if either of the two would be the destination should they offer."

"I wouldn't say that," he said. "Being the in-state schools, though, I would like to get an offer from them. I just went to UGA the week before last. I went to Georgia Tech's Junior Day. Georgia Tech wants to wait to see me in the spring."
A summer visit to Columbia is in the works for the senior.

"I'm going to South Carolina on July 25 for a camp," he said. "I'm also going to Tennessee on June 2nd and Ohio State, too."
Mincy has one factor that is most important to him.

"I'm just looking for a second home for me; somewhere I feel the most comfortable with," he said.

While he had previously looked at making a spring decision, the timeframe has been pushed back.

"I really just don't know," he said of when he would make a decision. "Probably after the football season and after I take my official visits."



...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now!